Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 0 of 30 - Teku Teku Angel Start!

I've decided to document my experience with Teku Teku Angel. It is basically a Tamagotchi-style virtual pet that has a built in pedometer. It tracks your steps, calculates a distance traveled based on the step width you entered in, and also gives an estimated kcal/calorie burn number. To top it all off, it's 100% in Japanese :) This is the version I have, that I found on ebay from a seller located in Japan:


This is another version I found searching online. I believe it's called Teku Teku Angel 'Due', but I'm not sure if it came before or after my version.

Some interesting notes about Teku Teku Angel:
♪ You do not have to feed or clean up after it like most virtual pets. I suppose they wanted you to focus more on your physical activity than sitting around caring for your pet. It's more of a 'walking buddy' than a creature that demands constant attention, which makes it nice for...people who have lives I guess?
♪ Somewhat recently, a new version of Teku Teku Angel has been released that is compatible with the Nintendo DS. It obviously can go more in depth with diet and exercise advice, which would be fun to mess with. I originally wanted to get that, but it was a little too expensive. Perhaps sometime in the future I will try it.
♪ There is a nice built in clip on the back for hooking to pants, backpack, or a belt. The instructions show a small tether that looks like it can be looped onto the corner of the device in case the clip slips off of whatever it's hanging on, but it didn't come with one.
♪ "Teku" means 'tech' or 'technology' in Japanese. So it's a "tech angel" pet :O

Anyway, onto the stats for today.
Day 0 (it starts on 0, and I suppose it will change to 1 once a full day has passed)
Pet Name:  あいこ (English: Aiko, Kanji: 愛子 meaning 'love child' or 'dear child'. Hiragana is the only option for entering names)
Hearts: ♥ ♥ ♥
Steps: ~4400 (I didn't start it in the morning, so I didn't get as many steps in as I could've.)
km: 2.21
kcal: 145
Slots: full (The more you play and win the slot machine game, the happier the pet seems to become)
Pet's messages:
いっしょにがんばろう (let's do well together!)
やっぱり夏はあついね (summer is always hot, isn't it?)
*I think it's interesting that even though they have complex kanjis that appear in the game, so far the pet messages are mostly in hiragana. Perhaps this is to make it seem younger and more naive :3

No comments:

Post a Comment